As a firm rule, a lady always wears proper underpinnings. She does not wear skirts and dresses in public without a slip and stockings underneath.
A slip can be a lady's best friend as it serves several good purposes:
- Helps a skirt or dress to drape properly
- Protects the skin from chafing against the fabric of the garment
- Prevents the garment from clinging to the body
- Prevents the silhouetting of a lady's legs in the sunlight *
- Prevents show through of intimate undergarments
- Give a polished, well-groomed appearance
- Hide physical flaws such as bruises and scars (I once heard stockings described as foundation makeup for the legs)
- Make shoes more comfortable by reducing rubbing
*Some may remember when Lady Diana Spencer learned this the hard way.
Photo from Pinterest